Background & Goals
Family businesses contribute significantly to the economic power of the German-speaking and international economies. Through research, education and continuing education, the Family Business Center helps family owners to sustainably maintain and further increase their economic strength.
The center was founded in 2016 as a joint initiative by the MCI Management Center Innsbruck and the Chamber of Commerce of Tyrol and is continued as a distinct research lab and transfer center at the MCI since July 2017.
How we define Family Businesses
The biggest difference between family businesses and non-family businesses lies in their owner structure and organizational structure. A family business is owned by one or multiple family members who actively participate in the business.
The center as a focal point for family businesses
The center considers itself a focal point for family businesses in Western Austria and beyond.
- It cooperates with academic institutions, associations, companies and other institutions.
- It uses its economic, technological and innovational potential to promote, deepen and strengthen the economic, political and social significance of family businesses in the German-speaking and international area.
- It does so through concrete activities.
The center as a place for discussion and exchange
The center supports family businesses and fosters an exchange between science and business.
Some of the center’s key goals are:
- Active exchange of experiences between family businesses and between science and business
- Applied research, transfer and field projects
- Education, continuing education, knowledge transfer, congress and events
- Preservation of family businesses, their innovative power and competitiveness across generations
- Promotion of qualified successors of family businesses
- Communication, public relations, employer branding and awareness building
The center offers specific services to attain this goal.